cookbook 'ohai', '= 3.0.1', :supermarket
Provides custom resources for installing Ohai hints and plugins
cookbook 'ohai', '= 3.0.1'
knife cookbook site install ohai
knife cookbook site download ohai
Creates a configured plugin path for distributing custom Ohai plugins, and reloads them via Ohai within the context of a Chef Client run during the compile phase (if needed).
- Chef 11+
node['ohai']['plugin_path']- location to drop off plugins directory, default is
/etc/chef/ohai_plugins. Note: This is not Filesystem Hierarchy Standard(FHS)-compliant path, a FHS compliant path would be something like
Neither an FHS location or the default value of this attribute are in the default Ohai plugin path. Set the Ohai plugin path with the config setting "
Ohai::Config[:plugin_path]" in the Chef config file (the
chef-client::configrecipe does this automatically for you!). The attribute is not set to the default plugin path that Ohai ships with because we don't want to risk destroying existing essential plugins for Ohai.
node['ohai']['plugins']- sources of plugins, defaults to the
files/default/pluginsdirectory of this cookbook. You can add additional cookbooks by adding the name of the cookbook as a key and the path of the files directory as the value. You have to make sure that you don't have any file conflicts between multiple cookbooks. The last one to write wins.
node['ohai']['hints_path']- location to drop off hints directory. This defaults to the path defined by Ohai, which is
/etc/chef/ohai/hintson Linux and
Put the recipe
ohai at the start of the node's run list to make sure that custom plugins are loaded early on in the Chef run and data is available for later recipes.
The execution of the custom plugins occurs within the recipe during the compile phase, so you can write new plugins and use the data they return in your Chef recipes.
For information on how to write custom plugins for Ohai, please see the Chef Docs page
PLEASE NOTE - This recipe reloads the Ohai plugins a 2nd time during the Chef run if:
- The "
Ohai::Config[:plugin_path]" config setting has NOT been properly set in the Chef config file
- The "
Ohai::Config[:plugin_path]" config setting has been properly set in the Chef config file and there are updated plugins dropped off at "
Create hints file. You can find usage examples at
hint_name- The name of hints file and key. Should be string, default is name of resource.
content- Values of hints. It will be used as automatic attributes. Should be Hash, default is empty Hash class.
You can check for the creation or deletion of ohai hints with chefspec using these custom matches:
For an example implementation, inspect the ohai_plugin.rb recipe in the nginx community cookbook.
License & Authors
Author: Cookbook Engineering Team (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Copyright: 2011-2016, Chef Software, Inc.
Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0 Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.
This cookbook has no specified dependencies.
ohai Cookbook CHANGELOG
This file is used to list changes made in each version of the ohai cookbook.
- Fixed the Chefspec matchers
- Change the default value for
node['ohai']['hints_path']to use the Ohai config value. This should be the same value in most use cases, but if a custom path is specified in the chef client config this value will get used automatically by the cookbook.
- Removed backwards compatibility with Chefspec < 4.1 in the matchers library
- Fix bad link to the custom Ohai plugin documentation in the readme
- Improve documentation for
- Properly handle creating ohai hints without specifying the content. Previously if the content wasn't specified a deprecation notice would be thrown and the file would not be created
- Simplified the test suite and added inspec tests to ensure hints are created, especially if the content is not specified
- Added FreeBSD and Windows as supported platform in the metadata and add them to the Test Kitchen config
- Add Test Kitchen integration tests to Travis CI
- Updated testing Gems to the latest releases in the Gemfile
- Resolved deprecation warnings with the Chefspec matchers
- Validate the hints before loading them to avoid failures
- Added supported platforms to the metadata
- Updated .gitignore file
- Updated Test Kitchen config for the latest platforms
- Added Chef standard Rubocop config
- Added Travis CI testing
- Added Berksfile
- Updated contributing and testing docs
- Added maintainers.md and maintainers.toml files
- Added Travis and cookbook version badges to the readme
- Expanded the requirements section in the readme and clarify the minimum supported Chef release is 11
- Updated Opscode -> Chef Software
- Added a Rakefile for simplified testing
- Added a Chefignore file
- Resolved Rubocop warnings
- Added source_url and issues_url to the metadata
- Added Chefspec matchers
- Added basic convergence Chefspec test
- [COOK-4683] Remove warnings about reopening resource
Please note, this changes the name of a remote_directory resource. It is not expected that anyone would be explicitly notifying this resource but, please review PR #16 for more info.
'[COOK-3865] - create lwrp ohai_hint'
- Dummy release due to a Community Site upload failure
- COOK-3091 - Fix checking
- [COOK-1918] - Ohai cookbook to distribute plugins fails on windows
- [COOK-2096] - Ohai cookbook sets unix-only default path attribute
- [COOK-2057] - distribution from another cookbok fails if ohai attributes are loaded after the other cookbook
- [COOK-1128] - readme update, Replace reference to deprecated chef cookbook with one to chef-client
- [COOK-1424] - prevent plugin_path growth to infinity
- [COOK-1174] - custom_plugins is only conditionally available
- [COOK-1383] - allow plugins from other cookbooks
- [COOK-463] ohai cookbook default recipe should only reload plugins if there were updates
3.0.1 passed this metric
3.0.1 passed this metric