cookbook 'bluepill', '= 2.4.1'
The bluepill cookbook has been deprecated
Author provided reason for deprecation:
The bluepill cookbook has been deprecated and is no longer being maintained by its authors. Use of the bluepill cookbook is no longer recommended.
Installs bluepill gem and configures to manage services, includes bluepill_service LWRP
cookbook 'bluepill', '= 2.4.1', :supermarket
knife supermarket install bluepill
knife supermarket download bluepill
Installs bluepill Ruby Gem and configures it to manage services. Also includes a LWRP.
Bluepill is a pure Ruby service management tool/library, so this cookbook should work on any system. The attributes do set up paths based on FHS locations, see below.
- Chef 11+
Default locations for bluepill are in "FHS compliant" locations.
node["bluepill"]["bin"]- Path to bluepill program, default is 'bluepill' in the RubyGems binary directory.
node["bluepill"]["logfile"]- Location of the bluepill log file, default "/var/log/bluepill.log".
node["bluepill"]["conf_dir"]- Location of service config files (pills), default "/etc/bluepill".
node["bluepill"]["pid_dir"]- Location of pidfiles, default "/var/run/bluepill"
node["bluepill"]["state_dir"]- Location of state directory, default "/var/lib/bluepill"
node["bluepill"]["init_dir"]- Location of init script directory, default selected by platform.
node["bluepill"]["version"]- Version of bluepill to install, default is latest.
node["bluepill"]["use_rsyslog"]- Enable configuration and use of rsyslog for bluepill.
This cookbook contains an LWRP,
bluepill_service. This can be used with the normal Chef service resource, by using the
provider parameter, or by specifying the
bluepill_service shortcut. These two resources are equivalent.
service 'my_app' do provider bluepill_service action [:enable, :load, :start] end bluepill_service 'my_app' do action [:enable, :load, :start] end
The load action should probably always be specified, to ensure that if bluepill isn't running already it gets started. The
The recipe using the service must contain a template resource for the pill and it must be named
my_app is the service name passed to the bluepill service resource.
Be sure to include the bluepill recipe in the run list to ensure that the gem and bluepill-related directories are created. This will also make the cookbook available on the system and other cookbooks won't need to explicitly depend on it in the metadata.
If the default directory locations in the attributes/default.rb aren't what you want, change them by setting them either in the attributes file itself, or create attributes in a role applied to any systems that will use bluepill.
Example pill template resource and .erb file:
template '/etc/bluepill/my_app.pill' do source 'my_app.pill.erb' end Bluepill.application('my_app') do |app| app.process('my_app') do |process| process.pid_file = '/var/run/my_app.pid' process.start_command = '/usr/bin/my_app' end end
See bluepill's documentation for more information on creating pill templates.
License & Authors
Author: Cookbook Engineering Team (email@example.com)
Copyright: 2010-2015, Chef Software, Inc.
Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0 Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.
|rsyslog ~> 2.0|
bluepill Cookbook CHANGELOG
This file is used to list changes made in each version of the bluepill cookbook.
- Require rsyslog ~> 2.0.0 to preserve Chef 11 compatibility
- Fix rsyslog restarting on RHEL
- Use platform_family when setting platform specific node attributes and fix bad syntax. This should improve RHEL support
- Updated the LSB Required-Start and Required-Stop comments of the LSB init script template to be valid
- Added name to the bluepill_test cookbook metadata for Chef 12
- If a defaults file on RHEL or Debian based systems exist for the service source that within the init scripts. Example if /etc/default/bar exists on debian for the bar service then source that
- Added .kitchen.yml file with vagrant based testing for local testing and moved the cloud based kitchen to .kitchen.cloud.yml
- Add Travis CI config
- Added rubocop config
- Updated Berksfile to 3.X format and removed yum cookbook that wasn't used
- Updated contributing.md and added testing.md documentation
- Updated development and testing dependencies in the Gemfile
- Added maintainers.md and .toml and added Rake task for generating the MD file
- Opscode -> Chef Software everywhere
- Added Travis and cookbook version badges to the readme
- Add rake file to easy testing
- Resolved all Rubocop warnings
- Added a chefignore file and added additional files to the gitignore
- Added source_url and issues_url metadata for Supermarket
- Never actually released
- COOK-3705 - Add init.d script with LSB style
- COOK-3503 - Add why-run support
- [COOK-2507] - stringify language attributes
- [COOK-547] - Add
loadaction to provider to reload services when template changes.
- [COOK-1295] - The bluepill cookbook does not create the default log file
- [COOK-1840] - Enable bluepill to log to rsyslog
This version uses platform_family attribute (in the provider), making the cookbook incompatible with older versions of Chef/Ohai, hence the major version bump.
- [COOK-1644] - Bluepill cookbook fails on Redhat due to missing default or redhat template directory.
- [COOK-1920] - init script should have a template file named after platform_family instead of using file specificity
- [COOK-1730] - Add ability to specify which version of bluepill to install
- [COOK-1592] - use mixlib-shellout instead of execute, add test-kitchen
- [COOK-1304] - support amazon linux
- [COOK-1427] - resolve foodcritic warnings
- [COOK-1106] - fix chkconfig loader for CentOS 5
- [COOK-1107] - use integer for GID instead of string
- [COOK-1043] - Bluepill cookbook fails on OS X because it tries to use root group
- [COOK-943] - add init script for freebsd
- [COOK-867] - enable bluepill service on RHEL family
- [COOK-550] - add freebsd support
- Fixes COOK-524, COOK-632
2.4.1 passed this metric
2.4.1 passed this metric