cookbook 'snort', '= 1.1.0'
snort (14) Versions 1.1.0 Follow14
Installs Snort IDS packages
cookbook 'snort', '= 1.1.0', :supermarket
knife supermarket install snort
knife supermarket download snort
Installs the SNORT IDS daemon. On Debian/Ubuntu systems, the packages
from apt are used. On RHEL and Fedora systems, the packages are
retrieved directly from the SNORT project site.
- Ubuntu 10.04+
- RHEL/CentOS, 7.0 and higher only.
- Fedora 21+
May work on other platforms in the Debian and RHEL families with or
attributes/default.rb for default values.
node['snort']['home_net']- Address range to use for preseeding
node['snort']['database']- The database backend to use. Only applicable on Debian/Ubuntu systems. Default none. MySQL and PostgreSQL are usable. The default recipe will install the SNORT package for the appropriate database backend. You'll need to make sure that the database server is set up in some way such that SNORT can connect to it. This cookbook does not yet support automatic configuration.
node['snort']['rpm']['daq_version']- The full version string of the daq package to install, e.g. "
node['snort']['rpm']['daq_checksum']- The SHA256 checksum of the daq rpm.
node['snort']['rpm']['version']- The full version string of the snort package to install, e.g., "
node['snort']['rpm']['checksum']- The SHA256 checksum of the snort rpm.
recipe[snort] in a run list to have the system get SNORT
installed. This performs a baseline installation and preseeds the
package. You should change the
to the appropriate network.
We recommend adding a
template resource to the default recipe to
/etc/snort/snort.conf file as a template. The default
file is good enough for now on Debian/Ubuntu.
On Ubuntu/Debian, the default rules package will be installed. You'll
need to download and install additional rules. Automatically updating
rules with oinkmaster is not yet supported. See future plans.
The following features are planned for a future release of this
cookbook. Contributions welcome.
- Source-based installation.
- Other platforms in general :).
License and Author
- Author: Joshua Timberman (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Copyright 2010-2015, Chef Software, Inc (email@example.com)
Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0 Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.
This cookbook has no specified dependencies.
There are no cookbooks that are contingent upon this one.
snort Cookbook CHANGELOG
This file is used to list changes made in each version of the snort cookbook.
- Updated to the latest daq and snort packages for RHEL
- Added Chefspecs for RHEL/Debian platforms
- Moved all install logic into _install.rb recipe which is called by the default recipe. This changes nothing, but prepares things for adding more functionality at a later date.
- Updated platforms in the Kitchen CI config
- Added source_url and issues_url metadata for Supermarket
- Updated Travis config to test via ChefDK and to use kitchen-docker for integration tests
- Removed yum cookbook from the Berksfile since it wasn't needed
- Removed the Contributing doc since it was from when this cookbook was managed by Chef Software Inc.
- Added standard Chef development gems to the Gemfile
- Removed references to database output from the Readme
- Added a Rakefile for simplified testing
- Updated to the latest Snort packages on RHEL / Fedora. For RHEL the minimum supported release is now RHEL 7 due to Snort requirements
- The default package action is now install and not upgrade to prevent service restarts on Chef runs
- Switched to platform_family to support all Debian / RHEL derivitives
- Switch file/dir mode declarations to strings to preserve the leading 0s
- Updated the Contributing doc to reflect the new process
- Added a chef ignore file to prevent unecessary files on the Chef server
- Added a rubocop file and resolved all Rubocop warnings
- Added a Test Kitchen config for testing supported platforms
- Added a Gemfile with development dependencies
- Added a Berksfile for development dependencies
- [COOK-1512] - Update SNORT cookbook with upstream changes for RHEL platforms
1.1.0 passed this metric
1.1.0 passed this metric