cookbook 'chef-server', '= 3.0.0', :supermarket
Installs and configures Chef Server 12
cookbook 'chef-server', '= 3.0.0'
knife supermarket install chef-server
knife supermarket download chef-server
This cookbook configures a system to be a standalone Chef Server. It will install the appropriate platform-specific chef-server Omnibus package from Package Cloud and perform the initial configuration.
It is not in the scope of this cookbook to handle more complex Chef Server topologies like 'tiered' or 'ha'. Nor is it in the scope of this cookbook to install and configure premium features or other add-ons. For clustered Chef Server deployments, see chef-server-cluster. For primitives for installing
chef-server-core or other Chef Server add-ons, see chef-server-ingredient.
It is also not in the scope of this cookbook to handle older versions of Chef Server, such as 11 or 10. For Chef Server 11, see version 2.1.x of this cookbook on Supermarket, or the
chef11 branch of this repository.
This cookbook is tested with Chef (client) 12. It may work with or without modification on earlier versions of Chef, but Chef 12 is recommended.
- chef-server-ingredient cookbook
This cookbook is tested on the following platforms using the Test Kitchen
.kitchen.yml in the repository.
- RHEL/CentOS 5 64-bit
- RHEL/CentOS 6 64-bit
- Ubuntu 10.04, 10.10 64-bit
- Ubuntu 11.04, 11.10 64-bit
- Ubuntu 12.04, 12.10 64-bit
Unlisted platforms in the same family, of similar or equivalent versions may work with or without modification to this cookbook. For a list of supported platforms for Chef Server, see the Chef documentation.
The attributes used by this cookbook are under the
chef-server name space.
|api_fqdn||Fully qualified domain name that you want to use for accessing the Web UI and API. If set to
|configuration||Configuration values to pass down to the underlying server config file (i.e.
|version||Chef Server version to install. If
Previous versions of this cookbook had several other attributes used to control the version of the Chef Server package to install. This is deprecated.
This section describes the recipes in the cookbook and how to use them in your environment.
- Installs the appropriate platform-specific chef-server Omnibus package from our Package Cloud repository
- Creates the initial
- Performs initial system configuration via
- Updates the
/etc/hostsfile with the
api_fqdnif that FQDN cannot be resolved.
Bootstrap Chef (server) with Chef (solo)
The easiest way to get a Chef Server up and running is to install chef-solo (via the chef-client Omnibus packages) and bootstrap the system using this cookbook:
# install chef-solo curl -L https://www.chef.io/chef/install.sh | sudo bash # create required bootstrap dirs/files sudo mkdir -p /var/chef/cache /var/chef/cookbooks # pull down this chef-server cookbook wget -qO- https://supermarket.chef.io/cookbooks/chef-server/download | sudo tar xvzC /var/chef/cookbooks # pull down dependency cookbooks wget -qO- https://supermarket.chef.io/cookbooks/chef-server-ingredient/download | sudo tar xvzC /var/chef/cookbooks wget -qO- https://supermarket.chef.io/cookbooks/packagecloud/download | sudo tar xvzC /var/chef/cookbooks # GO GO GO!!! sudo chef-solo -o 'recipe[chef-server::default]'
Be sure to download and untar the
packagecloud cookbooks. They're dependencies of this cookbook.
If you need more control over the final configuration of your Chef Server instance you can create a JSON attributes file and set underlying configuration via the
node['chef-server']['configuration'] attribute. See the [attributes/default.rb](attributes/default.rb)
Then pass this file to the initial chef-solo command:
chef-solo -j /tmp/dna.json
Configuring Chef Server
You can read all about Chef Server's configuration options on the Chef Documentation site.
Applying configuration changes
chef-server-ctl command is the administrative interface to the Chef Server. It has its own documentation. Various administrative functions provided by
chef-server-ctl are not in the scope of this cookbook. Special/customized needs should be managed in your own cookbook.
License and Authors
- Author: Seth Chisamore firstname.lastname@example.org
- Author: Joshua Timberman email@example.com
- Copyright 2012-2015, Chef Software, Inc
Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0 Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License for the specific language governing permissions and
|chef-server-ingredient >= 0.0.0|
chef-server cookbook README
Major Version Update
- Remove the omnitruck API client library and related attributes
- Use packagecloud repository for packages through the
- Remove the
- Remove the dependency on the git cookbook
- Remove the Vagrantfile - we use test-kitchen now
- Update the Berksfile accordingly
- Add ServerSpec tests
- Fixes #46/COOK-4691, use IP address as hostname. This is only recommended for testing purposes.
- COOK-4660 - Adds a OS version and image updates to the testing harness
- Dropping dependency on git
- [COOK-4386] - 'package_options' attribute added
- Updating test harness, adding amazon support to omnitruck library
- '[COOK-4176] - Ensure creation of
- '[COOK-4178] - update Bento boxes used in chef-server cookbook'
Documentation update to reflect Vagrant version dependency
- Complete re-write for Chef Server 11+. Chef Server is now installed using "fat" Omnibus package.
- [COOK-1637] - Directory creation in chef-server should be recursive
- [COOK-1638] - chef-server: Minor foodcritic fixups needed
- [COOK-1643] - Chef Server Cookbook Missing Erlang in Metadata Depends
- [COOK-1767] - use platform_family in chef-server cookbook
- [COOK-801] - add amazon linux
- [COOK-886] - use bin path consistently
- [COOK-1034] - expander bluepill doesn't have default value for node count
- [COOK-757] - compact all the views
- [COOK-969] -
server_aliasesas configurable attributes on
3.0.0 passed this metric
3.0.0 passed this metric